Week 19 | Sections 29, 30
Today we read of Jesus’ first miracle at a wedding in the town of Cana. Its a beautiful example of how God is involved and cares about the the details of our daily lives. In our lesson today we learn about Jesus’ power, and the importance of community and our own transparency.
John 2:1-11 (Section 29)1
1 The third day,2 there was a marriage3 in Cana of Galilee.4 Jesus’ mother was there. 2 Jesus also was invited, with his disciples,5 to the marriage.6 3 When the wine ran out,7 Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no wine.”4 Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does that have to do with you and me? My hour has not yet come.”8 5 His mother said to the servants, “Whatever he says to you, do it.” 6 Now there were six water pots of stone9set there after the Jews’ way of purifying, containing two or three metretes apiece.10 7 Jesus said to them, “Fill the water pots with water.” So they filled them up to the brim. 8 He said to them,“Now draw some out, and take it to the ruler of the feast.” So they took it. 9 When the ruler11 of the feast tasted the water now become wine, and didn’t know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the ruler of the feast called the bridegroom 10 and said to him, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when the guests have drunk freely, then that which is worse. You have kept the good wine until now!” 11 This beginning of his signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
- What can we expect of God in the way of miracles?
- Why do you think there is a lack of miracles in America?
- What spiritual and social dangers are there in being self-sufficient?
- What blessings can we receive by receiving from God, an agency, friend, or family?
- How are the adverse affects of shame?
- How can transparency cultivate the miracle of community (communitas)?
- Share a few recent examples of the church helping others in need. What do you feel as you hear these stories?
- What is it that you need right now? Will you ask for it in prayer or from a friend?
miracles, community that transforms, prosperity and poverty, helping others, humility, transparency.