Week 20 | Sections 30, 31
This week while we read about Jesus cleansing the temple, we are challenged to examine ourselves, our traditions and the busyness and commerce we’ve allowed and perhaps even brought into our local church.
Being a disciple is all about having a relationship with God, not programs and products. What have we busied ourselves with that in truth, undermines the very foundations of our faith?
Section 30 | John 20:12
12 After this,1 he went down to Capernaum,2 he, and his mother, his brothers, and his disciples; and they stayed there a few days.
Section 31 | John 2:13-22
13 The Passover3 of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.4 14 He found in the temple those who sold5 oxen, sheep, and doves, and the changers of money sitting. 15 He made a whip of cords, and threw all out of the temple, both the sheep and the oxen; and he poured out6 the changers’ money and overthrew their tables.7 16 To those who sold the doves, he said, “Take these things out of here! Don’t make my Father’s8 house a marketplace!”17 His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for your house will eat me up.”9¯10 18 The Jews11 therefore answered him, “What sign do you show us, seeing that you do these things?”12 19 Jesus answered them,“Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”13 20 The Jews therefore said, “It took forty-six years to build this temple! Will you raise it up in three days?” 21 But he spoke of the temple of his body.14This is the second time that Jesus speaks of his resurrection. 22 When therefore he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he said this, and they believed the Scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
- What needs to be cleansed out (again) of our life?
- What traditions need to be cleansed from the practice of our congregation.
- How would you rank your zeal? Allegiance to Jesus? Your identity known to others as one of Jesus’ disciples?
- What revelations have you had that caused a radical life change?
- What ways have you been closed off to the truth, and the revelation of God?
- What is it you want to experience when you gather as the church?
- What does it mean to be the church?
Applying the truth we know, let the seed of truth and the Gospel grow in you, rid our lives of false idols, be the church, trust in the power of the risen Lord, divine authority