Week 8 | Section 9
Joseph (like Zechariah) was a righteous man, and he too had a wife who was blessed with a child, Jesus the Son of God. Perhaps we all know the details of this story but many choose to question the veracity of Mary’s virginity. Like Joseph, some logically think, there must be another man involved. However, if we believe that his paternal father was of human decent, it changes the Gospel forever and denies the testimony of the Apostle John who wrote, “…the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.” Friends, we hope that you too can accept these words today for in them, by the grace of God, lie the keys of freedom for all humanity.
18 Now1 the birth of Jesus Christ2 was like this: After his mother, Mary, was engaged3 to Joseph, before they came together, she was found pregnant4 by the Holy Spirit.5¯6 19 Joseph, her husband,7 being a righteous man, and not willing to make her a public example, intended to put her away secretly.8 20 But when he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord9 appeared to him in a dream,10 saying, “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid11 to take to yourself Mary, your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.12 21 She shall give birth to a son. You shall call his name Jesus,13 for it is he who shall save his people14 from their sins.” 22 Now all this has happened, that it might be fulfilled15¯16¯17 which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall give birth to a son.18 They shall call his name Immanuel;” which is, being interpreted, “God with us.”19 24 Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him,20 and took his wife to himself; 25 and didn’t know her sexually until she had given birth to her firstborn son. He named him Jesus.21
- What rights ad responsibilities were given and expected of you and your siblings?
- What questions remain for you when considering Jesus’ birth, his divine nature and purpose?
- Open the Scriptures and a dialog about the nature of sin, and the need for redemption, and reconciliation and the role of the Savior.
- What characteristics and behaviors of Joseph do you find most compelling?
- If you’ve had divine inspiration or exhortation in a dream, would you share the experience and forth coming lessons with the group?
reasoning, righteous decision making process, openness to the Holy Spirit, Divinity of Jesus, Salvation from sins, God with us.